Virginia Law requires that you carry minimum liability limits for any auto driven in this state, or pay an uninsured motorist’s fee that relieves you of this responsability but does NOT prevent you from a lawsuit if you are involved in an accident.
When you purchase an auto insurance policy, there are many components to the policy which give you protection for various forms of loss. Your policy may or may not include these components and all are subject to the limits allowed within your policy:
- BODILY INJURY LIABILITY : Provides coverage for injury(or death)to others for which you or the driver of your insured vehicle are responsible (liable by law). Your costs of legal defense are included in this limit.
- PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY: Provides coverage up to the policy limits for injury to another’s vehicle or property for which you or the driver of your insured vehicle are responsible (liable by law).
These limits are usually issued as a limit per person, and then total by occurrence. They can also be issued on aggregate (total for incident)limit.
- MEDICAL PAYMENTS COVERAGE: Provides coverage for medical expenses for you and your passengers injured in an accident, regardless of fault. It also covers cost of funeral expenses should there be a fatality. This is an optional coverage, usually inexpensive, but can be very helpful in a low damage claim.
- UNINSURED MOTORIST’S COVERAGE: In Virginia, the Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage matches the liability limits of your personal bodily injury and property damage liability limits. This coverage pays for the pain and suffering not caused by the negligence of another driver whose liability limits are non existent or insufficient. It could also cover for acts of a hit and run or unknown driver.
- COLLISION COVERAGE: Pays for damage to your vehicle or another vehicle that you are driving caused by a collision (impact with another moving vehicle or fixed object).
- COMPREHENSIVE COVERAGE: Pays for damage to your vehicle or another vehicle in your custody resulting from any loss OTHER than collision; theft, fire, flood, animal impact, grocery cart, etc.
- RENTAL REIMBURSEMENT: Pays for rental of a replacement vehicle while your insured vehicle is being repaired for damage covered under your policy.
- TOWING AND LABOR: Covers some vehicle services such as lock out coverage, flat tire repair, or battery start. Also covers towing your vehicle to a repair shop up to the coverage limit.
REQUEST A QUOTE to get started.